Monday, January 16, 2017

#THANKFUL

Today I visited my neurologist.  It felt like a visit, but it was really just a check up.  Before I left he introduced me to someone at the front as “the one who brings him chocolate.”  I asked… “Am I the only one who brings this to you?”  He paused for a minute, thought, and then said… “Yes.”

I admit it.  I do spoil my doctor with chocolate and a Diet Coke each time I have an appointment.  Why do I do it?  Well, because I am thankful. 

I’m thankful for all he does to keep me well.  When I first came to see him probably 8 years ago I was really bad.  I had no energy.  I was very weak and could barely walk or talk because of the autoimmune disease I struggle with (It’s Myasthenia Gravis for the curious ones).  In a month’s time after first seeing him, my life turned around drastically.  New medicines and procedures had made all the difference.  I was thankful!

On one visit with him some time in the past, I noticed he was having a bad day.  I don’t know what happened.  Maybe too many complaining people were getting to him or he missed lunch… Who knows?  All I knew was that I was thankful and I didn’t feel like I was showing it. 


On that visit I asked the nurses what some of my doctor’s favorite snack and beverages were…I scribbled them down on a piece of paper and tossed it into my purse.  The next time I came in I was prepared to be thankful.  At that appointment I brought a special treat… an assortment of chocolate and a Diet Coke.  He was shocked and pleased all at once.  I guess nobody had ever done that before… be thankful and show it!   I’ve been doing it ever since. 

I want to live in a state of thankfulness!  There are enough people whining in the world about what they don’t have, can’t do, or are stuck with.  I want to be different!  How about you?

“In everything give thanks…”

1 Thess. 5:18 (NLV)


Are you thankful?  Is there some special way you can show that thankfulness to others?  Get creative and watch God work through you as you walk in thankfulness!

Living to leave a legacy, 
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment