Monday, November 22, 2010

"My Love Story"












Recently I shared my “love story” with a group of teenage girls. I was hoping to in some way impress upon their hearts that they were “worth the wait.” My story is one of passion put on hold until the wedding day. A friendship was built that would last a lifetime.

I was blessed with a sweet, sensitive, romantic from the very beginning. What I appreciated most about Al was that he respected me enough to set physical boundaries in our relationship. He wanted to protect our future from the very first date so we could live a life with no regrets.

The best part of developing a strong friendship first was that we never had to go through the “let me impress you” stage of our relationship. We saw the good, the bad, and the ugly and still loved each other. There were no false impressions… we were real with each other all the time. It was very evident that he loved me for me. Our relationship grew from the friendship gradually to protected dating, engagement, and finally marriage. God blessed me with my very own Prince Charming.

My love story with Al is not the only love story I have to tell. There is someone else in my life who has loved me for me…God. He has loved me… failures, disappointments, bad choices, insecurities, ugliness, and all.

Ephesians 3:18 says…
”And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.”

God’s love for us goes beyond anything we could comprehend… no relationship, physical expression, or definition of love even comes close. God loves you with an everlasting love. God’s love is different than what the world tries to offer us.

I Corinthians 13 shows us the difference. Look what it says…

“…So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head, Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end.”


Wow… so “love in action” should look like this. When we love with God’s love, others will notice a difference! Many in the world today seek the love of others with selfish terms. I will love you if… It’s a conditional type of love. I’m sure glad God isn’t that way. He loves you for you and me for me.

The day we invite God into our lives, our love story with Him begins. Our love for Him grows and is manifested for everyone to see each time we show His love to others. What does your love story with God look like? How has he shown His love to you?

Our love for others should mirror our love for God.
How does God love us…
~He loves unconditionally
~He forgives immediately
~His love is permanent and never ending
~He takes us as we are
~He brings out the best in us

As we continue to grow in God, our love for others will grow. Some people are hard to love, but when we choose to see them through God’s eyes and love them with His love… it can happen. Offer your whole heart to God to receive love and give love and you will truly be blessed.

Romans 12:1-2
“So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out…”

God’s love molds us and shapes us into the best “Me” we can be. Today He wants to write “your love story.” He wants to know you personally and romantically. I challenge you to spend some time getting to know God. Really let Him see you for who you really are... ugliness and all. His love is like no other and He offers it to you today. May His love consume your life as you choose to pursue Him.

Living to leave a Legacy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment