Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What's really important?


Sometimes I can get caught up in things that don’t really matter… have you ever been there? Have you ever been fixated on trivial meaningless tasks that in the long run end up draining you of all of your time and energy? It won’t really matter a week, a month, or a year from now, but it matters to you today. Yesterday, God gave me a lesson in what’s really important.

The boys got up and about their day and me being the task master mom gave them a time frame to be dressed, teeth brushed, and ready in the living room to discuss the day. They had one hour to get ready at their leisure. They had plenty of time, but I have one child who waits to the last minute to do everything and ends up way behind schedule as a result. So, when I saw him enter the living room to watch TV, I thought… why isn’t he dressed, it doesn’t take much effort to put some clothes on… he only has 30 minutes left to do it before THE DEADLINE! I proceeded to lecture him on why he should have already gotten dressed which caused him to have an attitude and left us both feeling on edge.

After a few moments of listening to worship music while cleaning, God got my attention. Did you see that little boys face? What do you want him to remember about the encounter you just had with him? That he should follow YOUR SCHEDULE… do you want him to remember your angry expressions, words, or attitude? What impression do you want to leave with him about this moment… what do you want etched into his mind forever? Whoa!!!!!!!! Wait a minute… this was not my plan for the day. I immediately called my son in to rectify the situation per God’s instructions.

“Will you please forgive me? Mommy sometimes gets caught up in things and forgets that everything doesn’t always have to been done HER WAY. I’m sorry. Will you remind mommy next time this happens that you will do it (whatever I asked you), but you want to do it your way and in your time?” He gobbled me in a hug and smiled and said “OK mommy, I love you.”

I’m so glad that God helps us in this journey called life. When we mess up, lose focus, or get caught up in the trivial things this life has to offer… God is there to rescue us and bring us back to where we need to be.

Colossians 3:1-2 says “So if you're serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that's where the action is. See things from his perspective. “

Lift your head and choose to see things from His perspective.  What image do you want to leave etched in the mind of someone else from their encounter with you today? What is really important?

Living to leave a legacy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment