Thursday, August 31, 2017

An open letter to all of God's wandering children



This was posted on 7/21/15, but still rings true in my heart today...

Hello Prodigals.  In case you were wondering... You are LOVED and missed dearly!  It’s been awhile since we’ve talked or even seen each other.    I have so many fond memories of our times together.  I understand why you left, but things haven’t been the same without you.  I hope you are doing well.  The last time I saw you, you seemed so lost.  When I looked into your eyes it felt as though I could see into your soul and it was empty. 

My heart ached to fix things for you, but there comes a point when this God thing has to become real and personal to you.  You have to own it!  God is amazing and oh so real!  I know this first hand.  He has met me at my lowest moments and in my darkest hours.  He has carried me through so many things.  I don’t know where I would be without Him.  He has filled up all of the empty spots of my life.  He has wrapped me in His love and overwhelmed me with His peace.

I have shared my life with you (in good times and bad).  My faith in God has been messy, but genuine. I have been available to answer questions, pray for you, and be there when you needed me.  You have been in my thoughts and prayers.  Regardless of my efforts, ultimately the choice was yours.  I understand your decision, but I beg you to change your mind.

You were hurt, felt judged, disappointed, and confused.  You felt forgotten, unappreciated, and unnoticed.  You felt far from God while you made efforts to move closer to Him.  Enough was enough.  Things did not pan out the way you expected and you gave up… you walked AWAY from God.  When you needed Him most where was He?  You never felt Him, yet others did.  You felt all alone.

I beg you to “remember”.  Remember when you experienced Him for the first time.  Remember how you felt when you first sensed His presence wrapping around you.  Remember the peace He poured over your heart during those difficult times.  Remember when you read the Bible and it came alive to you.  Remember when He answered your prayers and used you to touch someone else for Him.  Remember the youth retreats, camps, conventions, radical worship times, and powerful services.  Remember the people around you that inspired you by their own walk with God.  He was real to you at some point.  You were drawn to the reality of God and you wanted more.  You were hungry for the things of God.  Remember?

When I think of you and remember my heart is sad.  I don’t want you to walk around empty, lonely, and hopeless anymore.  I want you to find your purpose in God and experience His life-changing touch.  I want you to be all He desired you to be and more.  I want you to walk in His destiny for your life.  I want you to be happy again… to have that inner joy down deep that circumstances can’t steal away.

Your time with God was one of the happiest times of your life.  Remember?  You felt the most fulfilled during this time.  It’s because God was filling up all the empty crevices of your life with His presence.  His peace poured over you and His love was so tangible in your life.  Everything felt right with Him at the center of your heart and life.

I don’t know what pushed you over the edge enough to walk away for good.  Maybe it was adversity, difficulty, or unexpected circumstances that occurred beyond your control.  Difficult times can cause anyone to give up.  Bad things happen.  I know that full well.  My life hasn’t been perfect.  I have faced unexpected circumstances beyond my control on numerous accounts that have stretched me beyond my limits.  It was tough.  I felt weary, spent, and overwhelmed.  I was at the end of my rope.  In the midst of my pain, I didn’t know where else to go, but to God.  I reached out His direction and I was surprised by His response.

Each time I ran to God in my moments of despair and heartache God’s peace immediately followed.  It’s what I needed most.  His presence was felt instantly and His love surrounded me.  Even though I didn’t understand the Why’s of life, I ran to my constant source of strength, God, to see me through.  I have faced a lot of adversity over the years and I must confess that God has never disappointed me each time I have chosen to run to Him instead of AWAY from Him.

I know you have been AWAY from Him for awhile, but I challenge you to come home.  Reach out to Him… He misses you so much!  I know it will be hard.  You will feel weird.  You are scared, but imagine your life turned back over to Him.  How different would things be and for the better?  How much more peace could you feel?  Just think about it… your heart full and overflowing with God’s love.  Hearing His voice, feeling His presence, His destiny played out in your life… your life completely fulfilled in Him.

I know the world hasn’t treated you well.  You have experienced pain, heartache, and despair.  I know you might feel broken, abused, or used.  You aren’t the same person as you were before.  That’s okay.  He wants you to come to Him as you are anyways.  I know your life is riddled with trails of bad choices and a life time of regrets.  It’s okay.  Lay them all down at His feet.  All He wants is YOU… as you are, completely surrendered to Him. 

Each day is a fresh start, a clean page with no mistakes… a day full of endless possibilities.  Choose well my friend.  I beg you to “remember” and make a bold step closer to Him.  He is not standing with arms crossed in judgment.  Adjust your spiritual lens.  He is standing expectantly with arms wide open waiting to run to you the minute you turn your head His direction.  He loves you fiercely friend.  Run to Him today.  Pour out your heart to Him.  It may not be pretty, but in a raw and real way connect your heart with His today.


Run to Him when you are confused and it feels like your world is falling apart.  Run to Him when you are grieving from a great loss or celebrating a victory.  Run to Him when you feel all hope is gone and life is pushing you under.  Run to Him when your relationship is falling apart and your heart is broken into a million pieces.  Run to Him when your body is full of sickness and you are fearful of the outcome.  His peace is waiting to envelop you and His presence is waiting to comfort you.  He is as close as the mention of His name… Jesus.

James 4:8 says this…
“Come near to God, and God will come near to you.”

I pray today you will take a step CLOSER to God and watch Him draw near to you.  I love you prodigals and miss you dearly.  Please know I am still here for you.  I’m available to answer questions and pray for you too.  Please consider coming home to God today.  We both miss you terribly.

Love & prayers,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment